Monday, January 26, 2015

How Shall I Brooch the Subject?


New year, new classes! I've been busy this month challenging myself with all sorts of fun art-making. I couldn't resist taking another session of Lilla Rogers Make Art That Sells Bootcamp in addition to the Art & Business of Surface Pattern Design scholarship that I received.

Lilla's January assignment was to create a notebook using Edwardian Brooches as inspiration. I spent a lot of time drawing pins with gems, but couldn't figure out how I would arrange them to make a compelling notebook. Jewelry is not really my thing.

One of my goals this year is to define my style and trust my own drawing ability. If you've been following me on Instagram, you know I like to doodle cute girls. I realized I was more drawn to the cameo pins than the precious gems, so that became my new direction. Cute cameos.



I thought these proper ladies would make a great fabric for a little girl, so I also made a repeat in an alternate colorway. What started out as a huge challenge for me, evolved into something really fun and I'm quite happy with the results! Thanks, Lilla!


Sketches






No comments:

Post a Comment